Local authorities are already required to publish, under the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015, the following information with regard to senior salaries:
- The number of employees whose remuneration in that year was at least £50,000 in brackets of £5,000
- Details of remuneration and job title of certain senior employees whose salary is at least £50,000
- Employees whose salaries are £150,000 or more must also be identified by name
- In addition to this requirement, local authorities must place a link on their website to these published data or place the data itself on their website, together with a list of responsibilities (for example, the services and functions they are responsible for, budget held and number of staff) and details of bonuses and ‘benefits-in-kind’, for all employees whose salary exceeds £50,000.
Currently, Salisbury City Council has one post where remuneration is £50,000 or greater and that is the post of the City Clerk which sits within the bracket of £75,000 to £80,000. The City Clerk’s principal areas of responsibility are:
- Strategic leadership of the city council, working with Members, staff, partners and other tiers of local government to develop a clear vision and long term aims for the city and the city council
- Management of service performance, ensuring targets are achieved and contributing to delivery of corporate priorities
- Lead work with key partners ensuring delivery of agreed objectives and targets
- Monitoring of all revenue and capital budgets for the council, achieving the financial objectives set by the Council
- Management of contract letting for all capital and revenue contracts and tenders, achieving best value
- Work with the senior management team to identify and develop business opportunities.
- Provide advice to the Mayor and City councillors on matters of civic protocol, statutory powers and public affairs generally
- Oversee the arrangements of, and where appropriate participate in, civic ceremonial events
Salisbury City Council does not pay bonuses or benefits in kind to employees.