A peaceful space
The London Road Cemetery opened 1857 and to date there have been 24,631 interments, including cremated remains. This cemetery is now closed for new full earth burials.
In the 1980’s the Cemetery Chapel was demolished to make way for extra grave spaces. The Crematorium Chapel can be used for the funeral services of burials in the London Road Cemetery and elsewhere. This can seat approximately 130 people and is equipped with hymn books and the Funeral Service book. There is also an organist to play if you require and a Wesley Digital Music System which is operated by the Crematorium Musical Coordinator.
Buried in the Cemetery are casualties of the First and Second World Wars. A “Cross of Sacrifice” memorial designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield was erected after the Second World War in honour of all service war dead buried there. This fine memorial, 7 metres in height, is situated in the main avenue of London Road Cemetery.
The Cemetery is open from sunrise to sunset every day of the year.
How to find the cemetery
London Road Cemetery
Telephone the office about burial records: (01722) 333632
Telephone the Parks Department regarding the upkeep of the cemetery: (01722) 342860